Life is not predictable. It’s like riding a roller coaster blind folded; you can’t see what’s coming. Hills that take your breath, loops and curves that leave your head spinning, and sharp turns that shake everything up. Yet, there is hope.
I can’t see my coaster’s path, much less yours. Yet, I am certain we both will face something unpredictable today. Maybe you began your day in the Word, listening to worship music as I did. Maybe your day was humming right along, check marks on your “to do” list, and then WHAM! You get hit with a broken transmission and another temper tantrum from your child. Or worse.
So, here are some words of hope to hang on to for the ride today. Consider them a lapbar to hold you down or Dramamine to ease your quease.
- If you are discouraged today, not seeing the change you’ve been working toward or praying for, remember that it’s his power at work within you. Now may the God of peace make you holy in every way, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless until our Lord Jesus Christ comes again. God will make this happen, for he who calls you is faithful. 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24
- If you are just tired, worn out from working and serving, remember it’s for His glory. Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Galatians 6:9
- If you are afraid or worried, remember whose you are. The Lord is my light and my salvation— so why should I be afraid? The Lord is my fortress, protecting me from danger, so why should I tremble? Psalm 27:1
- If you are overwhelmed with big stuff in life, loop after loop, just lay down at his feet. He’s got this. Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.”
- If you have been hurt by someone you loved, know that there is one whose love is constant. Long ago the Lord said to Israel: “I have loved you, my people, with an everlasting love. With unfailing love I have drawn you to myself. Jeremiah 31:3
- If you are in a season of waiting, hang on because He’s hanging on to you and he’s faithful. Yet those who wait for the Lord will gain new strength; They will mount up with wings like eagles, They will run and not get tired, They will walk and not become weary. Isaiah 40:31
- If you are struggling to believe God answers prayer, then hang on to truth. Call to Me and I will answer you, and I will tell you great and mighty things, which you do not know. Jeremiah 33:3
- If you don’t know the next step, go to the one who does. If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him. But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind. James 1:5-6
- If you feel lonely or unaccepted, draw close to your Creator. For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. Psalm 139:14
Whether you are alone on the ride, barely inching up the steep hill, or being slung around curve after curve, God is still faithfully holding you in his hands. He is exactly what you need today, no matter what just came your way. He is our hope.